Ben Hokum & Son Limited is the largest producer of red and white pine in Eastern Ontario. The company has a long-established relationship with Falcon Lumber Limited, a wholesaling firm based in Toronto, Ontario, to market our eastern white pine lumber. Our lumber is well-known in industry circles for its superior quality.
Red & White Pine
Our main commodities of red pine are 4×4 and 6×6 squares which are sold primarily into the pressure-treated market. When consumers purchase squares from retail outlets, there is a strong chance those squares are a product of Ben Hokum & Son Limited.
All squares are sorted with one length per lift, in the following lengths: 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 feet. We can also accommodate special orders. Annually, we produce 6″x 8″ and 8″x 8″ sawn-to-order sizes.
Additional sawing sizes include:
- 4/4″ thickness include 3″, 4″, 5″, 6″, 8″, 10″ and 12″widths.
- 6/4″ thickness include 4″, 6″, 8″, 10″ and 12″ widths.
- 8/4″ thickness include 4″, 6″, 8″, 10″ and 12″ widths.
Market uses include pallets and crating material, flooring, paneling and framing. We also provide special orders as our mill is small enough to allow us to adapt and integrated special sizing easily, but large enough that we can produce adequate quantities. We provide green or air-dried lumber.
- D Select & Btr: The Top grade available. It is the only Eastern White Pine grade where the number of knots on a piece is limited. Uses include: fine woodworking and interior trim.
- #1, #2 Common: Is an appearance grade with sound tight knots. Common uses are panelling, furniture and flooring.
- #3 Common: A highly knotty appearance grade. Common uses: furniture, paneling, shelving, coffin making.
- Standard Grade: Is a NELMA (North Eastern Lumber Manufacturers’ Association) grade combining CLA #3 & 4 Common.
- #4 Common: A serviceable grade primarily used for industrial uses, including crating and boxing.
- Industrial / #5 Common: Lowest common grade – for industrial uses.
Our regular aspen products include:
- 4/4″ and 5/4″ thicknesses in #1 common and select & better in random lengths, all sorted on one length per bundle. All lumber sawn over-thick and width + 1/8″. Lumber can be offered green or kiln-dried.
- 4/4″ thickness in #2 and 3 grade. Widths sawn include 3″, 3-1/2″, 4″, 5″, 5-1/2″, 6″, 7″, 8″, 9″, 10″, 11″ and 12″. Lengths range from 4 feet to 16 feet in both odd and even.
- 5/4″ thickness in #2 and 3 common grade. Widths sawn include 2-1/2″, 3″, 3-1/2″, 4″, 5″, 5-1/2″, 6″, 7″ and 8″. Lengths range from 4 feet to 16 feet in both odd and even.
Our mills are large enough to produce large volume orders and also adaptable for smaller, customized orders.